Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
List of ZX Basic supported engines
Hi all

I'm gathering information about engines that support ZX Basic. So far, I found those:

- FASE: here and here
- Nirvana: here
- Nirvana+: here and here
- Bifrost* Engine: here
- Bifrost*2 Engine: here
- ZXodus][Engine: here and here (but engine download link is not found)

Do you have more information about them or more engines to add to the list? It would be nice to have a repository with all of them.

Cheers.
This should go in the Wiki (currently http://zxbasic.net). I think there's some info already there. Please feel free to contribute.
I'll migrate this wiki to another software (DokuWiki), and the info contained there will be preserved. Smile
This is what I found on the wiki: https://zxbasic.readthedocs.io/en/docs/#...-resources
but it doesn't refer to engines and/or third-party routines for use with ZX Basic. I suppose this is were external engines can be documented. How can I contribute?
Register in the wiki with the same email you use in this forum. If it prompts you for a password, it should be the same. Otherwise, click on forgotten password.
In the past the wiki and the forum shared the same user base. This is no longer the case, until I migrate the wiki and the forum.
Trying to register but "You do not have permission to do that, for the following reason: You are NOT allowed TO execute the action you have requested"
Anyway I was just asking if you were aware of more to add functionality, but with those I have more than I can handle to start Smile
Since Oblo never got an account somehow, I've added this info to the wiki page.
oblo Wrote:ZXodus][Engine: here and here (but engine download link is not found)

Do you have more information about them or more engines to add to the list? It would be nice to have a repository with all of them.

The ZXodus][Engine is a bit of a special case. The other 'engines' are really just rendering frameworks. They handle things like rainbow processing, sprites, tiles and maps. You still have to write all your game logic yourself. The ZXodus][Engine is a full game engine for making cRPG-type games. Most of the game logic is already provided. Most of the game creation revolves around the creation of assets (tiles, maps, music, dialogue trees and so on). The ZXodus][Engine uses a subset of Boriel's ZX Basic Compiler as a scripting language to control game events. It also differs in that it is commercial closed source software.

The project is currently on hold while I work on the Chloe 280SE FPGA computer. The ZXodus][Engine will be the last program I write for the Spectrum. When it's done I'll be switching exclusively to writing apps for the 280SE.