Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SPECTRA Advanced Graphics
I think both Spectra and ULA+ are targeted to different niches. But even if they were not, they can perfectly coexist together as they enrich the retroscene.
I'm seriously considering buying both, BTW.
Regarding to the compiler, there already is ULA+ code made in ZX BASIC compiler (someone put the code already in this forum). So Spectranet is the next... Smile
You're right Paul. What's the point? I'd have an easier life if I just kept my thoughts to myself.
boriel Wrote:I think both Spectra and ULA+ are targeted to different niches. But even if they were not, they can perfectly coexist together as they enrich the retroscene.
I'm seriously considering buying both, BTW.
Regarding to the compiler, there already is ULA+ code made in ZX BASIC compiler (someone put the code already in this forum). So Spectranet is the next... Smile
I want to buy the ULA+ too, so I hope that it will be available soon. Anyway, this will not stop me from supporting SPECTRA. So, Forever is in ca. 7 weeks so I must hurry up.
------------------------------------------------------------
http://lcd-one.da.ru redirector is dead
Visit my http://members.inode.at/838331/index.html home page!
LCD Wrote:I want to buy the ULA+ too, so I hope that it will be available soon. Anyway, this will not stop me from supporting SPECTRA. So, Forever is in ca. 7 weeks so I must hurry up.
I checked in with Miguel and he still has a lot of work to do on his PhD.
cheveron Wrote:
LCD Wrote:I want to buy the ULA+ too, so I hope that it will be available soon. Anyway, this will not stop me from supporting SPECTRA. So, Forever is in ca. 7 weeks so I must hurry up.
I checked in with Miguel and he still has a lot of work to do on his PhD.
So it will take a bit longer...

Anyway. Today I had some time free and started to write a very simple game, just to demonstrate a game running on SPECTRA. It progresses very well and I will send the first prreview today to Paul Farrow.
The game is working on a standard Spectrum too, but with SPECTRA the graphics is improved, but I'm scratching only on the surface. Hopefully I finish the game soon.
------------------------------------------------------------
http://lcd-one.da.ru redirector is dead
Visit my http://members.inode.at/838331/index.html home page!
As a windows user, that hasn't had access to real hardware for decades, I always appreciate things being in emulators. In fact, that's the bare minimum line for me experimenting with things. Never got to play with microdrives until they were emulated, for example. (Couldn't afford em! Got a disk drive before I gave up the speccy in the end tho, second hand).

I look forward to seeing Spectra built into more emulators I can use. It just expands my options to play with things and have fun. I don't care if any one alternative graphics structure is better than any other - heck, my hat's off to hardware developers. It's way cleverer than I'll ever be. I'm wondering if I'll ever get to grips with things like bifrost or zxodus as it is Smile

I do hope spectra graphics turn out easier to work out than ULAplus. I know Chevron there thinks they are simple. I've never actually got them to work in an emulator, and I have tried. Usually end up with nothing, despite trying to load a palette file before an enhanced game. So. Perhaps I'm a dumkopf muppet, I dunno. Though I do wonder how many nostalgic gamers have tried and succeeded with even ULA plus.

Anyway. TL;DR: Looking forward to seeing more emulator support for any more hardware....
britlion Wrote:I do hope spectra graphics turn out easier to work out than ULAplus. I know Chevron there thinks they are simple. I've never actually got them to work in an emulator, and I have tried. Usually end up with nothing, despite trying to load a palette file before an enhanced game. So. Perhaps I'm a dumkopf muppet, I dunno. Though I do wonder how many nostalgic gamers have tried and succeeded with even ULA plus.

If you have your emulator set to auto-load then when you put the game tape in after loading the palette file it will reset the machine (and the palette). Switch it off and you'll be fine. Switching the palette on and off and setting the palette is handled by a couple of OUT commands, but SE Basic has built-in support for ULAplus using the PALETTE command.