Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ZXodus][Engine
Are folks here comfortable with creating a Linux VM? If so I can supply RedBox as a .deb file. Otherwise I can supply it as a .vmdk file for use with VM solutions. RedBox is the standard development environment (SDE) for the ZXodus][Engine and provides all of the tools and scripts required.
cheveron Wrote:Are folks here comfortable with creating a Linux VM? If so I can supply RedBox as a .deb file. Otherwise I can supply it as a .vmdk file for use with VM solutions. RedBox is the standard development environment (SDE) for the ZXodus][Engine and provides all of the tools and scripts required.
Vmdk is fine! I use VirtualBox for that.
boriel Wrote:
cheveron Wrote:Are folks here comfortable with creating a Linux VM? If so I can supply RedBox as a .deb file. Otherwise I can supply it as a .vmdk file for use with VM solutions. RedBox is the standard development environment (SDE) for the ZXodus][Engine and provides all of the tools and scripts required.
Vmdk is fine! I use VirtualBox for that.

Ok great. I may yet come up with a Python based solution in future but right now I want to focus on the engine rather than the build tools.
I dont use Linux.

Any help to get Linux working on xp would help.
I'm always on the chat or facebook.
I have VBox running now with ubuntu-12.04.3 running
Cant wait Smile to see whats its like
I'm building the tool chain on OS X, because that's what I use. I'm running ZX-Paintbrush, BeepFX, and Vortex Tracker II under WINE. If I can get my head around Python I may be able to move the build scripts over from Bash, in which case a Linux VM might not be necessary. Currently I'm porting the alpha version of the Character Generator for U3.5TongueB (the game I'm writing) over to ZXBasic. Boriel has kindly agreed to dual license ZXBasic under the LGPL so I can distribute the tool chain without worrying about licensing rules.
Cheveron has asked me to changed the ZX BASIC license from GPL to LGPL and I agree.
LGPL allows ZX BASIC distribution and linkage to other non-GPL, non-free programs. (e.g. BorIDE could include ZX Basic packaged within it).
As I mentioned before, I'm currently in a hard deadline (finishing a research project :wink:, it will end by 31st Dec of the present year), so don't wait for me: if you need to release your project NOW, just put this LICENSE within (you have here my *public* express permission to do so!).

Anyway, If I understood correctly, you can already distribute the previous GPL licensed ZX BASIC with your work:
  • * for the original source, just link to the ZX BASIC Source page: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://bitbucket.org/boriel/zxbasic">https://bitbucket.org/boriel/zxbasic</a><!-- m -->
    * if you made changes to the source you can either distribute that modified source code or the diff files.

I've also updated the license description in the source page to LGPL.
Many thanks for making this change. I'm now looking at implementing the RedBox toolset in Python to make the whole thing integrated and portable. Only trouble is a lot of the build tools are currently in C and I don't know Python.
I've finally got around to putting a ZXodus page up. It's on Facebook but it should be viewable without an account:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://facebook.com/zxodus">http://facebook.com/zxodus</a><!-- m -->

I'll put up some simple tutorials on creating game components when I get the chance.
Thanks! Smile
You got my Like!
Thanks. I've put up an FAQ which summarizes the answers to the questions that folks have asked here. But let me know if there are any more questions.
Cant wait.....
I'll be adding more details to the notes section of the page over the coming week. So far I've covered character classes and spells. Next up, weapons.
cheveron Wrote:I'll be adding more details to the notes section of the page over the coming week. So far I've covered character classes and spells. Next up, weapons.
One thing, the official ZXodus][Engine page is the FB one?