Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Memory Map
It would be nice to be able to map the program produced in memory, work out where it is - and optionally, where gaps are (very useful for IM2 stuff) so that the gaps could be used. Even if only as buffer memory for other functions.
This has already been requested by LCD, I think. But there are two things to keep in mind:
  1. This applies mostly to Speccy, not to a generic machine architecture.
  2. This is very low level (not high level, like BASIC).
So perhaps this should go in the assembler (zxasm).

As far as I know, no compiler does that currently. The closest approach is the INTERRUPT subroutine in Borland Turbo Pascal, as far as I can remember.
Since creating an IM2 routine does not imply the whole routine should go in a memory zone (a single JP in that memory zone should be OK), this could be left to the compiler.

Anyway, a Memory Map Report (as LCD suggested) would be nice. You can later create a routine at empty places with ASM + ORG XXX. The best way to do this could be a DIM AT @XXXXX array of bytes, with the bytes containing the machine code, at the moment, I guess.
I was also thinking that if we have un-moveable code, it would be good to know whether our main program and includes are overwriting it! Smile