Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ZXodus][Engine
cheveron Wrote:
boriel Wrote:For most purposes, ZX Basic 1.4 (yes, 1.4, not 2.x) can be used exactly as current ZX Basic 1.3 (it maintains the compatibility).

What do I need to be careful about for the 2.0 release? I'm mainly relying on the IF ... THEN functionality to script the game engine. Also on the dungeon front I've decided to limit the number of tiles to 16 which will cut the memory overhead in half as it will be possible to store two tiles in a byte.
Nothing: 2.x is the same as 1.4. I prefer to use 1.4 numbering scheme yet. I will change it's scheme to 2.x when *External* changes (like the IF) were added. But we all (you included) must discuss such changes first Wink
For example, I see that IF could be more Sinclair BASIC (and FreeBASIC) Compatible if doing this way:
Code:
IF (condition) THEN <several sentences> : REM END IF not needed here.

IF (condition) THEN ' This is a multilne if. No instructions after THEN, but REM or ' comments allowed
  <sentences here>
END IF ' Closes IF
I think I could implement the 1st one (the previous one is already done, we know).
Another things I think should be removed:
Forbid goto/gosub to jump into/out from functions (this crashes the compiler and this problem also exist in FREE Basic)
Also warning silence is almost available now (finally), and etc. etc.
I will release a pre-pre-alpha this evening. It needs more testing before retiring 1.3.x

Messages In This Thread