Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not so much a bug, as slow!
boriel Wrote:
Darkstar Wrote:There was a bug in the PNG listing in both the POKE statement and in the PEEK argument. 23674 got written as 26374.
Confusedhock: OMG!!
I overlooked that!! Thank you. Smile
Anyway, I've found a floating point library. It is faster, but a bit less precise (it's like the traditional Ansi C IEEE FP library, 4 bytes per float, not 5). I guess I can implement it, and will be much faster, a bit less precise (but enough for most purposes), and take more memory. But more important: it will allow FP calculations in many Z80 machines, like SNES not having FP Rom routines.

Just another one of those silly bugs that can always creep in.

Thanks for letting us know about the Ansi C IEEE FP library.
I do hope that the memory usage of it will not be more than the FLOAT versions that are now in use (s924 and older) and then I mean when it's compiled
and also dynamic run time usage. As you know you canĀ“t rely on the ZX ROM for other platforms so this will have to get implemented sooner or later.
But this will break compatibilty with the original ZX basic and it seems that the current version of FLOAT is somewhat faster than the original interperted
version, so why not keep it in the ZXB and add a SINGLE 32bit datatype that uses the new Ansi C IEEE FP library? Then the old FLOAT library will be accessible
through the --sinclair option and only pulled in if you define a variable as a FLOAT. In the end, mabe all Sinclair specific command will be used that way
like the SAVE command that will not work on the SNES and hardware specific commands like PRINT (screen addressing issues). This way comapitbillty
can be ensured while generic routines like the Ansi C IEEE FP library and commands like GOSUB can be kept the same across all individual platforms. That
reminds me that the FOR/NEXT routines are still not in accord with BASIC standars but with C instead as far as I know. I think it was in DO/LOOP but I
am not sure that the zxb compiler did a complex test to see if it had reached the exit condition when a CP 0 would have been fine.

Messages In This Thread