Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Screen handling
slenkar Wrote:nice, i got 11 secs for zxbasic and 7 secs for your function

I cant seem to get any colour of dots except black

On the second pass only the green paper shows up

The routine, as it stands, just sets the ink point on - it doesn't touch attributes, change the current plot values or any such thing - it's optimized to get that point changed, and do nothing else. Slenkar - if you did a CLS after setting ink and paper values, you'd get what you were looking for, since that would change all the attribute data on the screen for you.

As Boriel points out, the standard plot routine also changes the attribute value and does some housekeeping in the background. That said, it's pretty rare that a draw needs to do this, since the effect is usually terrible. I can't think of any games that would require it - usually all the attribs in the game area are set already.

It might be reasonable to set up a fastplot and fastdraw routine for games purposes, that don't do the overhead. If so, it would be a plot similar to this, an absolute draw (from x1,y1 to x2,y2 - no relative movement), and routines to change the ink and paper in an area block - which would go with the clearblock routine.

The reason for not using relative draw is if you were working with a vector game, you'd generate the vertices explicitly, so a draw from vertex point 1 to vertex point 2 is probably more useful.

Messages In This Thread