Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sprites like MJ's Trabajo Basura (not unregr. Fourspriter)
boriel Wrote:
AlcoholicsAnonymous Wrote:Unfortunately not: I don't neither know the format of the object files z88dk uses nor know where to start. :oops:
I read they're based in .elf format or the like, but other than that, I have no clue of how they are created, linked etc...
Currently, zxbasic dumps everything to assembler which is finally converted to machine code.

Paulo recently updated the documentation <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://z88dk.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/z88dk/z88dk/doc/z80asm.html?revision=1.3">http://z88dk.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc ... vision=1.3</a><!-- m --> (at the end) but honestly I don't think I would reverse engineer anything... I think I would just either write an asm/linker myself (if that is what you want to do) or make use of an existing assembler that already does it for you. If the output of zxbasic is asm, perhaps the last stage could be assembled by 3rd party assembler / linker? sdcc does it that way and z88dk does it that way -- the compilers output asm code and the last linking stage is done by a separate linker / assembler. I think it would solve all your problems with only pulling in code the programs actually uses with little effort. Subroutines could then be assembled into libraries which would be pulled into the project by the linker as needed.

Possible candidates for assemblers are z80asm (used in z88dk), asz80 (used in sdcc), vasm and I know I am missing one here but I can't pin it down. You may want to look at licenses too. We are not totally satisfied with z80asm as it is missing sections which is quite important for separating data and code; however it is seeing continued development although very slowly. asz80 is better but we want to look at generating code for bankswitched systems (ie > 64k) and we are not sure yet if that can do it without modification.

Messages In This Thread