Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SE Basic support
Hi Daniel,
Quote:Even if the CPC has the same sound chip (I have a CPC 464 since last week) as Spectrum 128 or MSX, the clock speed is different, so compiling just a string is not that good.

Well the preferred way of using the SOUND command in SE Basic is with an array of register values, so you can drop in the correct table for the frequency of the chip in use and it will be in perfect pitch. The manual includes tables for the TS2068, the Spectrum 128, and the Pentagon. I have a spreadsheet somewhere that can be used to generate note tables for any frequency of AY chip. In the Spectrum the AY is normally clocked at half the CPU clock. In the Amstrad it's clocked at 1Mhz.

Quote:
cheveron Wrote:The ULAplus palette is derived from the MSX so again there's a good chance for overlap.
MSX or MSX2 ? I have the MSX and it has 15 colours only, with not very good choosen Palette.

MSX2. It uses the same 9-bit RGB system storing it in 8-bits only to give a palette of 256 colours. It also stores them in the same format as the MSX2 (GGGRRRBB). Of course you're still limited by the Spectrum or Timex attribute system, but on the up side you can get 64 colours on screen at once without using up any extra RAM and existing games can use new palettes without the need for reprogramming.

Quote:Again MSX2 but not MSX, but I agree. Also SAM Coupé has a Palette.
SE Basic is quite close to SAM BASIC in many respects (and actually includes some SAM BASIC code). A general purpose PALETTE command would be useful. I'd base it on the MSX2 spec (which is what SE Basic uses) and adapt it to support other machines.

Quote:Hexadecimals and binary are already included, but a little bit different (better) prefix than in SE BASIC. $FF=255. I hope, this will be not changed to 0xFF or something worser.
Well you can't use $ in SE Basic because that implies a string and would screw up the parser. BBC Basic and SAM Basic also use & for hex.

Quote:
cheveron Wrote:The other side is being able to run the compiled code on SE Basic.
As own compiling target...
Well you could make it a separate target, but since all the BASIC functionality of the original ROM is present in SE Basic it would make more sense to have a single target and just make sure the generated code is clean enough to run on both. All well written Spectrum programs run on SE Basic already, so if a compiled program doesn't run that tells me it's doing something quick and dirty somewhere.

Cheers!

-Andrew

Messages In This Thread