Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Small snippet to make the AY scream a bit
boriel Wrote:Okay, I will stop development for a while Sad

It's a hard decision, but at the end the development will benefit a lot of it, because many new people will be able to use ZX Basic and contribute with bugs and suggestions and code.

boriel Wrote:I don't like the current Wiki and I'm seriously considering to move into another one.

I've tried many wikis, but at the end I wrote my own Smile because none of them was perfectly suited to my needs. I would suggest a wiki with standard WikiCreole syntax, but it's not such an important issue; the easy to configure and template the site are more important. I think MediaWiki is too complex to configure and template and customize (but maybe it's only a wrong impression of mine, because I'm not used to it).

boriel Wrote:Lack of documentation is very common on open source projects at the beginning. So be patient.

Yes. I've seen this before in open source solo projects: The developer has the whole program in his mind and doesn't cease to fix and improve it; he has no need and almost no time to document it --it's funnier to code than to write the manual, I know! Smile. So the program grows quickly and the few docs avalaible become obsolete...

When the documentation is well structured, the tool (the wiki, in this case) is friendly and the edit criteria are clear, it's easy for the users (with the developer's supervision) to keep the contents updated. But we (and mainly the developer) have to build the foundations first!

boriel Wrote:I was also considering in writing a free manual (ala ZX Spectrum manual), and put it online.

Such a manual would be very useful, but I think it can wait. Anyway, it could be created more or less automatically with the wiki sources. It's better to have only one documentation reference in the beginning, to save efforts and avoid out of sync.

I suggest to open a new "Documentation" sub-forum to discuss all this and also to announce the achivements about the documentation.

Messages In This Thread