Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fourspriter: Alternate Version
Woah!

Na_th_an, at the time I was a little nonplussed, partly because I'd just spent ages working on the code to improve it, and version 2 came out more or less....right then. And, yes, there were similarities. I did suspect that ideas had been lifted, but my friend, it was totally not worth pursuing to me. I never assume malice where an error could have occurred anyway - that is, even if you HAD and forgot to mention me, I was glad that the code was out there for people to use.

First up, even though you retracted your statement, I unreservedly apologize for anything I said upsetting you. That's absolutely not why I am here. I am VERY sorry.

How about this for making peace - I have a newer version, part written. I built it from scratch, but using the principles of fourspriter (four sprites, for example, but no longer based on UDG) Actually, the machine code part works. It's lightning fast. I just haven't had time to finally make it work without problems. Would you like it?

I got to the point of wanting it to check for collisions, and not print both sprites that overlap in case of a collision (because buffer and redraw occur together, and if both sprites overlap, it buffers the other sprite instead of the background). So what isn't quite working are the other functions that go around it. I can get it to put at least three of the four sprites against the top of the screen, and the fourth might have to live with being one line lower. I'm using PUSH and POP to draw them instead of LDI. The version listed here is only flicker free because of a long wait loop to wait for the TV scan line to pass. The new version puts the sprites up BEFORE the scan line even gets to the screen. I've fought for every instruction to make it speed-speed-speed after the HALT starts the redraw cycle.

Unfortunately, right now, I'm tied up with other things. But I'm perfectly willing to hand over what I have, if you or anyone else wants to make it into a standalone piece of code or a library for Boriel's ZX Basic.

Messages In This Thread