Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Compiler Speed Trials
boriel Wrote:Ok, this is more in consonance with the FP-CALC Rom. The FP ROM CALC is very powerful... but slow. Tobos and SOFTEK are using their own optimized FP routines so they should get more memory and/or less precision. I have some 3 bytes mantisa FP calc routines (ZX Basic uses 4 bytes) for Z80, or program my ones, but this would require a lot of testing and I don't know if it would worth the hassle). E.g. who will use FP for games?

Yes. Well, first up - congrats on spotting constants and optimizing them. No other compiler back in the day did that. Brilliant move!

As for the "is it worth it" question - it depends what you want to make here - something that's special purpose or something that's the best all rounder.

I just had a look for math routines, and ran across a package of 48 bit floating point routines. Hmm. That would be interesting - being able to go to 32, 40 or 48 bit FP. I really don't know if anyone would use that at this stage, though.

That said, the compiler isn't a long hop from being able to work with other z80 devices, like a TI-89 or a Gameboy.

Know of any good routines that work on the FIXED type?

Messages In This Thread