Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wish: Documentation!
There are lots of things in the compiler that are mentioned obliquely in changelogs.

Please - at least get the list of reserved words up to date so that we know something is there.

Please, document DIM! This keyword is used in so many different ways - to set types, to dimension arrays, to set constants and to block fill arrays with =>

We're a little in the dark generally - and willing to work with that - but I think I'd like to request documentation and examples for DIM be top of the pile!
britlion Wrote:There are lots of things in the compiler that are mentioned obliquely in changelogs.

Please - at least get the list of reserved words up to date so that we know something is there.

Please, document DIM! This keyword is used in so many different ways - to set types, to dimension arrays, to set constants and to block fill arrays with =>

We're a little in the dark generally - and willing to work with that - but I think I'd like to request documentation and examples for DIM be top of the pile!
As LCD stated, I'm overbusy at this time.
It's supposed the Wiki was enabled for colaborative documentation. Meanwhile, you can have a look at the FreeBasic documentation wiki. Most of the ZX BASIC extended features has been taken from there.

Anyway, I will send you a message when the DIM documentation is ready (I will tomorrow).
I appreciate it, Boriel.

I know you're busy! (Aren't we all?) - and I figured I'd put it in the wishlist pile, not to twist your arm and make you do it NOW, but at least to ask that you put it a little higher in the priority list.

Thanks for the quick responses. It's good to know the compiler is getting better all the time.

[And I have been trying to help with documentation as my understanding increases!]
I could not prepare the Wiki DIM usage until now (was fixing things). In fact, I've discovered an optimization for strings that is not being done under some circumstances (Fix for 1.1.8). Also discovered that '%' suffix was disabled, so until 1.1.8 you can't use f% as a variable, but f. The % suffix is used in FreeBasic an other basics as a suffix for integers (ZX BASIC for 16bit integers on Z80 platforms). Anyway, using suffixes is considered deprecated.

You can use CHR$ or CHR. The same applies for INKEY, STR, SCREEN, etc...

Meanwhile, have a look at the DIM wiki article.
Things to do: ARRAYS and local (sub & functions) initialization.
I've been adding to the wiki where my time allows - and where my understanding of ZX Basic inmproves too.

Right now at the top of my documentation wishlist is stdcall - I can't work out how inline assembly functions get parameters Sad

I've documented a few things - CAST, ASM and FASTCALL for example. I've also tweaked a couple of your entries for minor typos.

Please check them when you have the time to make sure what I said was true!